FC4 for servers

Dan Hollis goemon at anime.net
Sun Feb 6 04:53:14 UTC 2005

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005, seth vidal wrote:
> > as others have mentioned it makes it impossible to install barebones
> > fedora even on a 512mb flash. the answers "just buy a bigger flash" or
> > "just install onto a hd, remove a hundred packages or so, then copy it
> > over to flash" are what drive people to other distros. :-/
> then they should probably go to other distros. I don't remember anything
> in the goals of fedora which read like "be able to install in tiny tiny
> amounts of disk space"
> I understand what you're driving for but I'm not sure it's worth it.

Adding a barebones install option isn't worth it?

Part of it is increasing the flexibility of fedora by allowing it to be
installed on a wider array of embedded platforms. The other part is just
install efficiency, not having to waste time removing hundreds of rpms
which are useless for headless ISP servers.

In the end it comes down to fedora being flexible and easily
deployable across a wider array of constrained hardware.

I don't see why fedora should aim for regression vs. RH9 in this respect.

-Dan