What reads these clips

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Sun Feb 6 17:35:09 UTC 2005

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 11:18:58AM -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 10:49:45AM -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
> >> What do we have in testing (rawhide) or extras that will allow one to
> >> view these streaming clips:
> >>   http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=97
> >> The first few are freebies.
> > Nothing; can't do it with the legal situation in the US.
> Not sure what you mean here.  Those clips can be viewed from any
> uptodate winXP machine.  Do you mean we have nothing that can view
> them.  How is legality involved?

The movies are encoded in Quicktime using the Sorenson video codec, which is
protected by software patents in the US. No one but official licensees can
make a player -- which means no open source software, and they haven't even
deigned to make a binary one available.

You have two options: 1) install wine and use the Windows binary QuickTime
player or 2) find a non-US Fedora Core repository which contains software
like mplayer or xine which can play these movies.

Unfortuntely, because of the legal situation, Fedora and Red Hat have *no*
options except continuing to protest bad laws.

Further discussion is really off-topic for the -devel list -- we can take
this to the main fedora list if you like.

--
Matthew Miller            mattdm at mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
-->  Fedora Users & Developers Conference, hosted by Boston University  <--