rawhide update problem

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Wed Feb 9 21:00:30 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 15:49 -0500, Rob Shewan wrote:
> Let me just try to state the obvious. It seems that gnome-panel is dependent
> on two libraries from evolution-data-server. It isn't obvious why this might
> be necessary but someone else might comment.

needed for the time/date applet to show you your appointments from evo.

> I removed all of the evolution packages in an attempt to incorporate the
> large quantity of updates available. I could remove these without any
> dependency problems. I have done a 'yum clean all' to ensure that there is
> nothing left around to confuse yum.

I know what you're trying to say here, but this irks me - yum is not
confused - there is no way to complete the procedure you have requested
- the deps are unresolvable.

> I know that not everything I have done makes sense but I would appreciate
> any constructive feedback anyone might have. I also realize that this is
> rawhide and it just happens but maybe this information is useful to someone.
>
> --> Running transaction check
> --> Processing Dependency: libgnome-menu.so.0 for package: control-center
> --> Processing Dependency: gnome-menus >= 2.9.1 for package: gnome-panel
> --> Processing Dependency: gnome-menus >= 2.9.1 for package: control-center
> --> Processing Dependency: libecal-1.2.so.1 for package: gnome-panel
> --> Processing Dependency: libgnome-menu.so.0 for package: gnome-panel
> --> Processing Dependency: libedataserver-1.2.so.0 for package: gnome-panel
> --> Processing Dependency: libgnome-menu.so.0 for package: eel2
> --> Processing Dependency: gnome-python2-extras = 2.9.3-1 for package: gnome-pyt
> hon2-gtkhtml2
> --> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
> --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
> ---> Package gnome-menus.i386 0:2.9.90-2 set to be updated
> ---> Package gnome-python2-extras.i386 0:2.9.3-1 set to be updated
> --> Running transaction check
> --> Processing Dependency: libecal-1.2.so.1 for package: gnome-panel
> --> Processing Dependency: libedataserver-1.2.so.0 for package: gnome-panel
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> Error: Missing Dependency: libecal-1.2.so.1 is needed by package gnome-panel
> Error: Missing Dependency: libedataserver-1.2.so.0 is needed by package
> gnome-panel

yum is saying - yep - we can't resolve this - and in the last few days
on fedora-devel-list (iirc) this was commented on. It's know and the
solution is to exclude the update of evolution-data-server for now,
iirc.

-sv