a bit of disaster - anybody knows what is going on?

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Fri Feb 11 01:24:37 UTC 2005

After today series of updates my x86_64 test box started seriously
misbehave.  For example:

# iptables-restore /etc/sysconfig/iptables
*** glibc detected *** iptables-restore: free(): invalid pointer:
0x00002aaaaaac7150 ***
Aborted

# runuser -s /bin/bash - nobody -c mDNSResponder
*** glibc detected *** runuser: double free or corruption (out):
0x00002aaaaaac7650 ***

# service xfs status
xfs dead but pid file exists

and many other things.  Some fail silently, other will complain
like above.  Pointers indeed look a bit strange.

Interestingly enough /sbin/iptables-restore was installed
on 2004-Nov-12 and 'ldd /sbin/iptables-restore' shows only

	libdl.so.2 => /lib64/libdl.so.2 (0x00000033f4b00000)
	libc.so.6 => /lib64/tls/libc.so.6 (0x00000033f4600000)
	/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00000033f4400000)

wher all three pieces were installed yesterday afternoon and a
machine was running, and rebooting, a few times without any
ill-effects until new rawhide packages were retrieved. 'rpm -V' does
not report any troubles neither for 'iptables' nor for 'glibc'.

A sudden hardware failure does not seem to be likely as another
Linux installation on the same box runs just fine.  A swap space is
common to all installations.  Booting older kernels also does not
change anything.  Today packages look like the most probably cause
but I do not see on that list anything obvious.  Oh, and x86 test
system, updated to the same level, is not doing anything strange.

I would file a bug report but I am somewhat at loss about what.
Anybody seeing something similar?

   Michal