Fedora Core 3 Test Update: kernel-2.6.10-1.766_FC3

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Sat Feb 12 20:45:49 UTC 2005

On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 08:48:33PM +0100, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:

 > > * Wed Feb 9 2005 Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com>
 > > - Backport some exec-shield fixes from devel/ branch.
 > > - Scan all SCSI LUNs by default.
 > > Theoretically, some devices may hang when being probed, though
 > > there should be few enough of these that we can blacklist them
 > > instead of having to whitelist every other device on the planet.
 > >

 > Wow! But why can't the kernel just do a "hey! this is a USB device!
 > Prob'em! and Oh. *real*SCSI. Carefull..."?

Had been discussed at one point on linux-scsi list, but no-one got
around to trying to do anything about it afaik.

 > > * Tue Feb 8 2005 Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com>
 > > - Use both old-style and new-style for USB initialisation.
 > More usb stuff?

2.6.10 changed the style that probing gets done.
new-style makes us do things the way Windows XP does it.
Unfortunatly, some devices don't work it seems (or we still
aren't getting something quite right).  This change makes
us try the 2.6.10 method, and if that fails, fall back to
trying the 2.6.9 and earlier method.

I'm hoping it'll fix up some of the stranger USB problems in bugzilla.

		Dave