Why is rpm -qa | grep openoffice.org2 soooo slow?

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Tue Feb 15 16:40:51 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 20:23 +1100, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> >> Rodd
> >
> >What kind of system are you using?  What type of CPU?  Speed?  Amount of
> >memory?  Type and speed of disk?
> >
> >Thomas
> >
> All excellent questions that should have been answered before they were
> asked.
>
> System Type: x86 Laptop
> Processor: P3-1GHz.
> Memory: 512MB
> Harddisk: 40GB, 5400RPM
>
> RPM used to be much faster at this sort of thing.
>

> Rodd

"Used to be" before what?  Was there a change to the system?  What were
you running before?

I will admit that it sounds like there is something weird on your
laptop.  I don't have anything that old but it certainly seems like a 1
GHz processor with plenty of RAM should go faster than that.

Have you looked at setting the hdparm settings for your disk to speed it
up?  Have a look in /etc/sysconfig/harddisks for some settings you can
change to seriously speed up your IDE drive.

Past that, I would look at what if anything else is going on on your
machine while you run your command.

Thomas