REinstalling Grub via dual boot

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Thu Feb 17 01:21:34 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 19:06 -0600, Mike Chambers wrote:
>On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 20:00 -0500, Joel Rittvo wrote:
>
>>These are my notes for reinstalling grub, from a few months back.
>>Hopefully they are still current!
>>
>>1.  Boot from first Fedora CD or Rescue CD
>>2.  At boot prompt:  linux rescue
>>3.  Then:  grub-install /dev/hdxx
>>     (using the device you want grub to install to)
>
>If it's going to the MBR, then it would be the first HD even if Fedora
>is on the 2nd HD?  (does it matter which drive /boot is on?)

Not in the slightest.  That's what the root (hdx,y) does.  The first bit
tells grub what device to use, the second tells which partition.  That's
why each entry in grub needs a root() entry.

You could even install the boot loader onto both your disks in case
something happens to the MBR on one.  For example, I have a SATA disk
and a normal ATA disk on my system.  Because the mother-board treats the
SATA disk as a special type of disk, I can boot from with my primary HDD
or the SATA device.  I've got grub install on the MBR for both, so it
doesn't matter which one I boot off.

Rodd