unable to read superblock

Anne & Lynn Wheeler lynn at garlic.com
Tue Feb 22 00:07:28 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 06:30:45 +0000, Philip Wyett wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 19:54 -0700, Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote:
>
>>I built a brand new FC3 smp kernel system using 681 on a system that had
>>two SATA drives. I configured with logical volume support with boot
>>filesystem mirrored/replicated and configured striped for all the other
>>filesystems. All of the kernels since 681 have failed during boot with
>>error message saying unable to read superblock.
>>

> What are the error messages you get at boot time?

right after Nash version starting:

EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock
mount: error 22  mounting ext3
mount: error  2  mounting none
switchroot: mount failed: 22
umount /initrd/dev failed: 2
Kernel panic -- not syncing, attempted to kill init!

... at this point machine hangs ... no buttons work and I have to
unplug/plug machine power cord and then power on.