Pecular reactions with Rawhide installation

Stan Bubrouski stan at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Feb 24 06:48:57 UTC 2005

Jim Cornette wrote:

> Using top to view memory usage, the programs gnome-vfs-daemon,
> gnome-settings, nautilus and X seem to be the leading processes for
> consuming cpu time. I added the cpufrequency control applet to my panel
> and am able to control the cpu frequuency to prevent the 80 C temp then
> shutdown. These listed processes take 28 -32 percent each in usage
> percentage. X takes around 1 to 6.6 percent usage range.

Woh.  Clearly there is something going wrong here.  From your
description it seems between X, gnome-vfs-daemon, gnome-settings, and
nautilus you are using 100% CPU?  This would make everything else crawl.
  So now the question is:  Why are these processes running out of control?

> Even though the computer hovers at high speeds, it takes a long while
> for a responsive desktop. lowering the speed does not help or hinder the
> system responsiveness. ESD is not listed in top.

If you are at 100 CPU usage constantly then there is no mystery here
except why.

> Thanks for the hints regarding top. I'll use it to see what's going on
> when the system is extremely slow. (it responds like a 100 MHz
> processor, on initial startup, but is a 1.5 GHz processor)
>
> Jim

-sb