Pecular reactions with Rawhide installation

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Feb 26 02:57:49 UTC 2005

Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 01:48 -0500, Stan Bubrouski wrote:
>
>>Jim Cornette wrote:
>>
>>>Using top to view memory usage, the programs gnome-vfs-daemon,
>>>gnome-settings, nautilus and X seem to be the leading processes for
>>>consuming cpu time. I added the cpufrequency control applet to my panel
>>>and am able to control the cpu frequuency to prevent the 80 C temp then
>>>shutdown. These listed processes take 28 -32 percent each in usage
>>>percentage. X takes around 1 to 6.6 percent usage range.
>>
>>Woh.  Clearly there is something going wrong here.  From your
>>description it seems between X, gnome-vfs-daemon, gnome-settings, and
>>nautilus you are using 100% CPU?  This would make everything else crawl.
>> So now the question is:  Why are these processes running out of control?
>

> That's the question.  After updating to the most recent rawhide
> yesterday I've started to see this too.  (I update to rawhide each day
> without fear or fail, so it was something on 20050224 that did it I
> guess).
>
> The first time I couldn't figure out what it was, but the second time I
> found killing gnome-panel fixed it (I'd tried gamin, gnome-vfs-daemon,
> gnome-settings-daemon and Nautilus before this.)
>

> I'm not sure if this is related, but I can get a similar (same result)
> by doing the following:
>
> 1. Open Applications > Accessories > Dictionary
> 2. Type Role into the Word field and hit enter
> 3. Click on the hyperlink Roll (this should bring up the meaning of
> Roll)
>
> Doing this sends my CPU 100% (about 30% user and 70% system)
>
> Closing the Dictionary fixes this immediately.
>

> Rodd

The thing that got my computer into a more usable state was to undo the
prelinking for all with 'prelink -uav' - Once the prelinking was undone,
  the random slowdown of programs does not seem to be a problem any
longer. My cpu usage numbers are now down in the 2 to 3 percent range.
The loading does not seem to be any better or worse than before though.

At first, I tried to 'prelink -av' the system and it was no different
than before trying to prelink processes.

Using the dictionary program did not make any difference to my cpu usage
problem.

Your results might vary from my tests. This "seems" to work, but I just
guessed as to what to try next.

Jim