An Idea for FC4

Jeffrey D. Yuille jeffy5 at optonline.net
Thu Jan 6 23:49:40 UTC 2005

Hello Sirs,

      I don't know if anyone has suggested this before, but I was
curious about something:  in the next release of Fedora Core (FC4),
during the installation of Fedora, why can't there be an automatic
detection and configuration of printers, just as there are automatic
detections of other devices during installation?  I have had difficulty
in printing over the network with Fedora Core where the printer is
attached to a Fedora Core 3 box. I have Googled all over the internet
where I have found info about setting up printing with CUPS, however I
have not been able to print over a small network.  By the way, I know
that printers can be automatically set up in other distributions of
Linux (Mandrake, for one) that have allowed me to print wirelessly and
though Ethernet over a small network.

     Anyway, this is just a suggestion.  Are there any plans to allow
for the automatic detection and installation of printing in Fedora Core
4 when it becomes available?