dvd burner - really slow response

steve_dum at mentorg.com steve_dum at mentorg.com
Fri Jan 7 06:48:36 UTC 2005

In message <20050107042053.GA14387 at devserv.devel.redhat.com>you write:
>On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 07:39:02PM -0800, steve_dum at mentorg.com wrote:
>> If I put a dvd in my drive, fire up k3b and ask for disk info k3b goes away
>> for 7 minutes -- SEVEN MINUTES -- and then comes back and and shows the disk
>
>> info.   Same disk on a RH 8 system comes back in a few seconds.
>
>Does it do the same as root. Does it do the same if you stop haldaemon first.
>(I'd be suprised if either make a difference but just to be sure). If it
>doesn't then strace might give clues as to what is being slow

as root and with haldaemon stopped it behaves the same.
strace shows that it's in a loop, it does a brk, then about 30 ioctls
and repeats.

brk(0x9528000)                          = 0x9528000
ioctl(19, CDROM_SEND_PACKET, 0xfefa0110) = 0
ioctl(19, CDROM_SEND_PACKET, 0xfefa02a0) = 0
ioctl(19, CDROM_SEND_PACKET, 0xfefa02a0) = 0

steve