Problem with samba files ownership

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Fri Jan 7 20:59:59 UTC 2005

IIRC you can set the sticky bits on the user and group.

chmod ug+s /home/data_cc

When a file is created in /home/data_cc it should now be owned by
the user and group that owns /home/data_cc.

I use this along with the mask and mode commands in the samba
configuration file to restrict who can add directories and files
and ensure that the created files have the same ownership and
permissions no matter who puts them there.

Your setup seems overly liberal.

This is what I use:
---smb.conf---
# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = JUPITER
        netbios name = EUROPA
        server string = FreeBSD Samba Server
        unix password sync = yes
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        update encrypted = Yes
        restrict anonymous = Yes
#       ssl CA certFile = /usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m.%U.%I
        max log size = 50
        debug uid = Yes
        character set = ISO8859-1
        os level = 66
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        wins support = Yes
        admin users = callisto
        create mask = 0644
        printing = cups

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        writeable = Yes
        browseable = No

[public]
        path = /var/backup/public-share/
        comment = Public file share area
        allow hosts = <list removed for privacy>
        create mask = 660
        write list = @public
        directory mask = 770

---

This is how I set the directory permissions.

---

drwxr-xr-x root wheel /var/backup/public-share

drwsrwsrwx root wheel /var/backup/public-share/Network Trash Folder
-r--r--r-- root wheel /var/backup/public-share/README.txt
drwsrwsrwx root wheel /var/backup/public-share/TheVolumeSettingsFolder
drwsr-sr-x root wheel /var/backup/public-share/Work

drwxrws--- root public /var/backup/public-share/Work/Documentation
drwxrws--- root public /var/backup/public-share/Work/Images
drwxrwx--- root wheel  /var/backup/public-share/Work/Misc
drwxrwxr-x root wheel  /var/backup/public-share/Work/Network
drwxrws--- root public /var/backup/public-share/Work/Forms
drwxrws--- root public /var/backup/public-share/Works/Products
drwxrwsr-x root public /var/backup/public-share/Work/Software
drwxr-xr-x root wheel  /var/backup/public-share/Work/Special

drwsrws--- root wheel  /var/backup/public-share/Work/Special/Secret
drwxrws-wx root wheel  /var/backup/public-share/Work/Special/moderated
drwxrwsr-x root wheel  /var/backup/public-share/Work/Special/readonly
drwxrws--- root public /var/backup/public-share/Work/Special/user-ro

---

As you can see by changing the group and permission a number of
unique qualities can be configured. Users who belong to wheel
have extensive privileges, users who belong to public have limited
access, and users who don't belong to either group have very
restricted access. Where you see an "s" instead of an "x" in a
directories permissions it means the owner or group associated to the
"s" is applied to any file or directory created in that directory.

This may be more complicated than you need because these directories
are also shared with netatalk. This is so that Macintosh, Windows
and Unix/Linux machines have the same privileges depending on the
user not the platform.

Hope this helps.

--
Guy Fraser