FC 3 and Kernel Lock or Hang

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Jan 7 23:58:34 UTC 2005

Tom Browder wrote:
> I'm still having same problem with 727 kernel (all else is fine).
>
> Jim Cornette suggested I try latest xorg source from their CVS.
>
> Would adding latest xorg rpms from rawhide to my FC 3 setup be feasible
> without doing the whole FC 4 test?
>
> Or is FC 4 stable enough so that I should try that?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Tom Browder

The version of xorg-x11 from FC3 updates or testing should work to
correct the problem with X bailing out and leaving the display filled
with whatever was present until a reboot.
If X is still running, this is not the same problem that I have
experenced before.
FC2 had the version of xorg-x11 that mysteriously exited, mainly with
certain screensavers.

Anyway, if you can ssh into the box and have to kill X processes, it is
not the same bug.

I guess I should not refer to the xorg-x11 versions as a CVS version. It
  was a CVS version during the testing phase for FC3 (test2 or 3). It is
a version included in FC3 now.

Jim

About FC4, I upgraded to the latest rawhide kernel and it oops'd and
also I had to manually bring my ethernet connection up with the previous
kernel and updatd package versions. Rawhide is pretty non-conflicting
with deps right now. Some programs are not working great though.