Confirm? New local root exploits

Philip Molter philip at datafoundry.com
Sat Jan 8 00:03:37 UTC 2005

Dan Hollis wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Philip Molter wrote:
>
>>Note that if you upgrade, they also made a major change to way the
>>kernel handles large memory sizes (the so-called 4g/4g patch was
>>dropped).  It probably doesn't affect a university shell server, but it
>>sure screwed me over.
>

> Specifics?

Specifically, I have a machine with 4GB of memory that requires a lot of
memory listed as Buffers:  (upwards of 2.5GB).  This machine is very
heavy on I/O and highly tuned for its design.  Not having the 4G/4G
patch, Buffers: is limited to about 600MB, and the system goes to I/O hell.

I did recompile the kernel with a 2G/2G split rather than a 1G/3G and
that helps (3G/1G is out of the question for me), but the previous 4G/4G
setup was much better for my load, even if it did use about 5-10% more
CPU (the box was, again, tuned for that extra CPU usage).

It still kind of irks me that such a major kernel change was made in a
x.y.z_a.b security release, but one can't complain too much about
software they don't pay for.  Most people aren't affected by the change,
I suppose.  It would've been nice if the patch was left in, so people
could recompile and enable it.

Philip