Any danger from these ports?

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Sat Jan 8 23:00:36 UTC 2005

Hi,

> > I seem to be subjected to a dictionary attack.
>
>   It's been going on for several months now.  Must be some kind of worm
> out there, but it's harmless provided you take some precautions.

I didn't think it was that serious. In all the time I've run linux
systems, I've had one intrusion and that was down to me leaving
(effectively) a back door the size of a house open (I was younger at the
time!)

> > Should I be overly worried? I've closed ssh on my router, so that's one
> > line of defence in the way :-)
> >

>   And that probably covers it all.  If you need ssh enabled on an
> internet connected host, I would recommend at least one, maybe all of
> the following:
>
> 1) Allow rsa key logins only.
> 2) Restrict by IP address, if possible.
> 3) Restrict by username if possible.
> 4) Run sshd on a port other than 22.
> 5) Use port knocking if you are really paranoid.  (Though that hasn't
>    had enough field testing to trust it as the only security measure,
>    for sure.)

Is there a simple to follow howto on all of these?

TTFN

Paul
--
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"
- Life of Brian, Monty Python