latest kernels and ndiswrapper

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Mon Jan 10 15:04:54 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 07:21 -0300, Alexandre Strube wrote:
> Em Sáb, 2005-01-08 às 11:38 -0300, Alexandre Strube escreveu:
>
> Was this posted to the wrong list? Is no one interested on those issues?

As nothing in your description seems specific to testing new fedora
components, probably fedora-list
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list would be a better
place to post.

> > I've been trying to use a wireless card (00:08.0 Network controller:
> > Intersil Corporation ISL3886 [Prism Javelin/Prism Xbow] (rev 01) - with
> > isl3886 firmware). The prism54's guy Sebastien told me this firmware is
> > still not supported at all but with ndiswrapper.
>
> > As ndiswrapper wiki says at
> > http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php/Distributions ,
> >
> > "Recent 2.6 kernels have an option to enable/disable 4k stack size.
> > However, Fedora kernels disable this option altogether and use a 4K
> > stack size, which is not enough for some windows drivers. If you are
> > running a Fedora 2.6 kernel and your machine freezes after running
> > <tt>modprobe ndiswrapper</tt> as described in the [Installation] page,
> > you are probably using a driver that requires a stack sizegreater than
> > 4K. Try installing the 16K stack kernel update fo Linuxant"
> >

> > But I don't even get to that.

Why not?  Seems pretty clear that they're telling you it's not going to
work with Fedora 4k stack which AFAIK is in all FC3 and rawhide kernels.

Phil