Random lock ups on 1074 kernel

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Tue Jan 11 01:19:12 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 23:58 +0000, Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I've had problems with the last few FC4 kernels. The problem turned out
> > to be that I was running out of swap space during depmod. Adding an
> > extra GB of swap and reinstalling the kernel solved the problem.
>
> How do I do that? parted seemed to think /dev/hda3 was mounted, umount
> didn't.

Not sure what that means (swap partitions don't show up as mounted), but
you can add a swapfile.  From "man mkswap"

# dd if=/dev/zero of=swapfile bs=1024 count=65536

Put it on a partition where you have room (/var in example below) and
adjust "count=" for desired swapfile size.

Then

# mkswap /var/cache/swapfile

Add to /etc/fstab

/var/cache/swapfile     swap     swap    defaults        0 0

and

# swapon -a

Do "free" before/after to verify effectiveness.

Phil