More NetworkManager related update problems

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Jan 18 16:04:25 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 10:42:05AM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> lwresd up to the functionality of the bind+caching-nameserver packages.
> There isn't really anything that works for 99% of what we need now
> _except_ bind+caching-nameserver, and since people have a crusade
> against that, we have to fix up lwresd instead.

Anything that does real (as opposed to just treating it as a tcp rpc service
to a real name server) name resolution service inside a decent firewall
doesn't work. Its hard to blame anyone since DNS comprehensively predates
early firewall technology.

There's a patch to make glibc stat the resolv.conf file, Ulrich may hate it
but it does seem to work for non nscd cases. Having nscd aware of the situation
would be even better - I take it dbus aware nscd is a no-go ?

Alan