Semperon processors

RON FLORY ron.flory at adtran.com
Fri Jan 28 21:43:31 UTC 2005

Paul Johnson wrote:

> Hi,
>

>>On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 02:55:27PM +0100, Tarjei Knapstad wrote:
>>
>>>I've never come across this "2 tone oscillating noise" you mention
>>>though - are you able to identify it's exact source?
>>
>>Sounds to me like the motherboard high-temp alarm.
>

> That got me thinking - just checked, current CPU temperature 100oC. Me
> thinks the problem may be found...

  Just a note, But I've encountered this problem on several motherboards
and laptops with FC3 where the CPU fan is turned off, causing overtemp
and shutdown.  This happens when using the FC3 installed kernel image.

  This is not isolated to Semperon, one of the systems was a Pentium-3.

  Rebuilding the kernel (stock from kernel.org after clearing all FC3
kernel settings) resolved it.

  I never reported because I didn't think anybody would believe me...

ron