openoffice

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Mon Jan 31 03:19:47 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 11:03 -0800, Don Russell wrote:
> Rodd Clarkson wrote:
>
> > As I see it, given that FC is a download only distro, I'm all for the
> > occasional inclusion of pre-release software.  If you want totally
> > solid, you shouldn't be using FC (IMHO).
>
> "Totally solid" is somewhat subjective.... In general, I disagree with
> shipping software with FC if the software has *known* problems.

<snip>

> Bottom line: there's already a working process for distributing
> pre-release software to the FC community, that's rawhide. Don't start
> distributing pre-release software with the final-release iso images.

So firefox-0.10.1-1.0PR1.20 shouldn't have been included with FC3?
What about thunderbird-0.8.0-9?

I'm not saying that FC should be just including ANY pre-release
software, but it has include some well tested pre-release software and I
for one applaud the inclusion of firefox and thunderbird in FC3 (instead
of having to wait for FC4).

Why can't OOo-2.x pre-release be included (given significant testing)
and then updated to 2.0 final after FC4 is released.  It's not like this
hasn't been done before.

Rodd

--
>From the pain come the dream