openoffice

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl3 at iadonisi.to
Mon Jan 31 20:52:08 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 13:13 +0100, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
> > any reason it can't be made available on extras?
>

> Agreed. Release it to extras if it can't make core. Call it
> openoffice.org.2-version or something, and make sure it conflicts
> openoffice.org (to make sure paralell installs are possible).

  Um, why do you want them to conflict if you also want them to be
parallel installable?  Those two things sound mutually exclusive to me.
  Aside from that, I think it's already been discussed in this thread
that making two versions of a package as huge and complex as OOo
parallel installable is more effort than its worth.
  Better to pick one of 1) ship an almost-final beta and issue an update
to 2.0 when it's released, 2) ship 1.1.x and resign ourselves to that
being the version eternally paired with FC4, 3) delay the release of FC4
in the hopes that OOo 2.0 will be shipped so as to not cause a
significant delay.
  Personally, I'm somewhat partial to delay FC4, but only if the delay
is, as some one else has suggested, less than 30 days.
--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator