rawhide report: 20050706 changes

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Jul 6 21:32:45 UTC 2005

Dave Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 02:59:37PM -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
>  > On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 02:18:40PM -0400, Brian Gerst wrote:
>  > > What about the bloat and slowdown because of the unnecessary spinlocks
>  > > and more complex scheduler code?
>  >
>  > The locks shouldn't matter. AMD got locked operations on exclusive cache
>  > lines right. Its generally only Intel boxes that had high lock costs.
>
> And the only UP EM64T's I've seen have HT. Though, that could be
> disabled, but I expect that the folks disabling it are in a minority.
>
>  > Not sure on the scheduler.
>
> It'll degenerate to a single runqueue on UP, so there shouldn't
> be any of the complicated balancing going on.  Bloat-wise, it's
> a tiny amount of change.
>
> 		Dave

If the smp kernel is to be used for newer laptops, will cpufrequency and
other power management options be included in the smp kernels.

I had troubles with the 1411 version of the kernel not booting. I
switched to the smp version and it booted, but the fan ran constantly.

Also, someone on the regular list seems to have a laptop with HT, so
power management and frequency scaling might be desirable for these
machines.

Jim