Running Rawhide post FC4

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Jul 8 20:57:37 UTC 2005

Just to comment on my appreciation with rawhide being easier to update.
With the lack of having to do --exclude=snafued.package, testing
packages is easier to do. Thanks for the pre-emptive measure taken.

I would like to see other features to slim down the amount of different
archs and different amount of processor packages that you need to
maintain. I would like to see the need to only need to maintain a
multiprocessor version of the kernel that would work equally well on a
uni-processor computer. The trouble that I have run into was related to
power management and to keeping my laptop from going up in smoke. I have
powernow-something7 and cannot run the smp kernel at present. I would
say that I know firsthand how important it is to not have you computer
frying up as a french-fry or toast on the higfh settings. keep up the
good work for FC5 and future installations.

I am proud that one of our products are going to the mode of running
Linux. The features that the programs are having are amazing vs. their
M$ versions fom the past. The thing I can see is the price put forth to
the customer. I think this can be reduced to some degree. We have the
potential to be a paying customer for a Linux distributor, but presently
are starting at RHL 7.x versions. I am sure that the Linux pricing has a
lot to do with the choices in lands overseas as to using Linux as a tool
to make products which do what you want them to accomplish. I do think
that the per seat or whatever could be reduced a bit. Customers want
products that can do what will make their product sell and be reliable.
Reduced pricing might bring new clients into the Red Hat product fold.

  The core being the core operating system vs. all the useful programs
that are now included in Extras seems to be the right approach. The
limiting factor is that you might have some useful programs that you can
only get improved by paying someone to improve them. If it is not fun,
but adds value to the customer, it ought to be core and someone will hav
to be paid to develop it.
About the pice of the product vs. support through phone calls, I would
dread such a product. I want to use the product to do things that are
neat to me. I hate tslking on a phone. A product might be made that it
does not include phone support, but if data is provided as to what the
malfunctioning program is doing, it will be made to work or an honest
reason as to why it failed will be given.

Thanks! and I like the present state rawhide is in. Sorry for the
additional comments.

Jim
--
The late rebellion in Massachusetts has given more alarm than I think it
should have done.  Calculate that one rebellion in 13 states in the course