new in 2005-7-9 glibc: no more LinuxThreads

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Sat Jul 9 13:33:33 UTC 2005

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 10:01:12 -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> In the last year we've hardly heard about
> any problem related to LT vs NPTL and the F4 switch to default to linking
> with NPTL also didn't cause any problems we know of.

That's because people got the message that you guys didn't care, not
because the programs that needed LinuxThreads magically disappeared.

Off the top of my head I can think of 3 commercial games which need it
(games are virtually never updated more than 6 months after release), and
I have a copy of Domino lying around which needs LT too. I'm sure there
are plenty of others, the change to NPTL really did break a lot of
software.

Most of the old Loki games no longer work, for various reasons, NPTL
amongst them.

I'm not expecting sympathy from you. These days I don't play many
games anyway. However, don't assume that silence on the matter means there
are no problems. It means people got tired of being told that the programs
they use don't matter.

thanks -mike