Fedora Core 4 Test Update

Stephen J. Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 21:42:28 UTC 2005

On 7/19/05, Brian Millett <bmillett at gmail.com> wrote:
> After todays test update of thunderbird & firefox, I have lost the text
> for both.  All that shows up is the "_" under the menu items.  All text
> in the display is also blank.  Had to fire up evolution to post this :-(
> Any idea where to look?
>
> I've rolled back a rev and that did not change anything.  Mozilla works
> just fine.

The only time I have seen this problem is where thunderbird and
firefox were running when I did the update.. and they werent killed
afterwords. Check to see if you have an old version of thunderbird or
firefox running.. what happened for me was that if I clicked on the
icons or ran from the command line this old version was what was
forking the new screens. The files that it had opened for the menus no
longer existed and so it does a _. Doing a kill of the parent packages
or if they wouldnt die a reboot fixed the problem for me.

> Thanks.
> --
> Brian Millett - [ Sinclair (re: the Minbari), "The Gathering"]
> "We didn't stop them, they stopped themselves and I wish to hell I knew
> why."
>

> --

Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator