Fedora Core 4 Test Update: libtool-1.5.16.multilib2-2

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Wed Jul 27 03:06:58 UTC 2005

On Jul 26, 2005, Joe Orton <jorton at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 11:57:24AM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> As for apr-devel, I suspect the need for versioning comes from a
>> libtool clone that I'm told it contains, but I really don't know, all
>> I know is that yum reports it can't update to the new testing gcc
>> because of the dep in apr-devel.

> That one is not a libtool clone, it's a real (GNU) libtool script.  It
> could just as well be a symlink to /usr/bin/libtool but you advised
> against that when I asked about it a year or two back ;)

Hmm...  Maybe I misunderstood the reason for it.  Frankly, I don't
remember the exchange, and I can't think of a reason to prefer a copy
of libtool, rather than a symlink to /usr/bin/libtool, except that
relying on /usr/bin/libtool you might into compatibility problems, and
/usr/bin/libtool (or a copy thereof) shouldn't be used at all.  Saving
and using a private copy doesn't help in this regard.