Adding a lvm-volume how?

Paul Dickson paul at permanentmail.com
Sat Jun 4 03:57:15 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 09:51:33 +0200 (CEST), Roger Grosswiler wrote:

> I have a machine, containing 2 harddisks. The main disk crashed, so i had
> to reinstall the machine.
>
> All my data is on the 2nd harddrive In VolGroup00-LogVol01, whilst i
> reinstalled fc on VolGroup00-LogVol00.

So in summary, you had two physical volumes (HDs) combined into one
volume group (VolGroup00) and that was split into two logical volume
(LogVol00 and LogVol01).

In this case, the data on the second drive is pretty much toast unless
logical volume mapping is written to all physical drives of the volume
group.  And if you had that, there's still a chance that sections of both
logical volumes where split between both drives.

This is at least how I understand how the Linux LVM works.

	-Paul