Slow Evo and .xscreensaver file in home

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Jun 8 00:45:51 UTC 2005

After trying out another distro (which did not install on one computer
and worked poorly on another computer), I tested my problem with
xscreensavers on the new install. The version is on a 7 gig partition so
it is pretty minimal. (No KDE pretty much a desktop install)

Problem 1:
On installation was disk hunting when mc, k3b, linx, festival were part
of the chosen install. I had to insert disk 3 after disc 4 completed,
disc 1, then disc 3 and disc 1 again.

Problem 2:
.xscreensavers is created in the user home directory which prevents one
from viewing. I had to install xscreensaver-extras-4.21-4 and
xscreensaver-gl-extras-4.21-4 via yum, but they were installed on the
other everything install that I performed earlier. If one opens a
terminal and runs rm .xscreens* as a regular user the full stock of
screensavers is available.
I am ruling out this being by design to prevent multiple users from
running screensaver to bog down the computer. The permissions would have
prevented me from the ability to remove the file as a regular user. A
minor detail to remove the file. A harder thing to know what is causing
the problem on clean installs.

Problem 3:
Blue border around terminals once X is launched. This is probably cured
by the tricks used by others when replacing the file talked about.
With the latest version of X (xorg-x11-6.8.2-37), I get a blue border,
orange terminal and yellow text. This is with an Intel 815 video card
set to 1280x1024 at 24.
If you run a program such as setup or mutt in a virtual terminal, there
is no blue except for the border.

Problem 4:
Evolution is dog slow when downloading mail from an ISP pop server.

Problem 5:
Firefox is nothing but trouble. I downloaded two ISO images from the
net, then chose cleanup, which removed the files from disk and did not
even stop at the trashcan. Why such a feature? If you are downloading
something, don't you think you intend to keep it? (I thought that it
would clear the list only.)

Jim