sound config discovery (was: Re: rhythmbox segfault / sound quality problems in fc4t3...)

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Wed Jun 8 15:36:57 UTC 2005

> On 6/8/05, Chris McDonough <chrism at plope.com> wrote:
> > Uh... I wish I could say it wasn't, but it is. ;-)  Sorry.
>
> tool discovery is a difficult issue. How does anyone really know what
> dialog really does what, before they go click happy and open up every
> dialog in the preferences list.  Most people who are going to fire up
> rhythmbox aren't go to know why they would even want to touch that
> preference entry, instead of of the sound preference dialog.  Having
> to expose these settings at all, indicates over-complexity of the
> available sound system implementations from an end-user perspective.

I imagine the need to use something like gstreamer-properties will just
become a nonissue over time once the sound system defaults become
prevalent and stable.  It's likely only bitten me because I've upgraded
as opposed to installing fresh.  Hopefully the sound system defaults can
remain constant from FC4 to FC5, then even upgrades would work fine.

-  C