python-sqlite3 dependency problem for yum today

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Sat Mar 12 21:32:58 UTC 2005

Sandy Pond wrote:

>On Sat, 2005-03-12 at 10:06 -0700, maxer wrote:
>

>>Processing Dependency: python-sqlite3 for package: yum
>>--> Finished Dependency Resolution
>>Error: Missing Dependency: python-sqlite3 is needed by package yum
>>
>>yum --exclude=python-sqlite3\* update should work
>>
>>RaXeT
>>

>But watch out ... even though yum update said:
>--> Running transaction check
>--> Processing Dependency: python-sqlite3 for package: yum
>--> Finished Dependency Resolution
>Error: Missing Dependency: python-sqlite3 is needed by package yum
>
>When I did:
>
>yum update r\* b\*
>
>yum thought it was OK to remove sqlite3
>
>So now I have a broken system:
>
># rpm -qa | grep sqlite
>sqlite-devel-3.1.2-1
>python-sqlite3-1.1.6-1
>sqlite-3.1.2-1
>#
>
>I guess python-sqlite3-1.1.6-1 is missing a dependency on sqlite3 and
>after update yum no longer works
>
>Regards :)

You have the correct sqlite packages now, but you have the old
python-sqlite3 package.  You'll need to correct your package version and
you'll have to rebuild yum against the new python-sqlite package.
Anyone who hasn't done any of the sqlite updates will need to also
download and install the new sqlite-3.1.2-1 packages.  Download the
following:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/i386/Fedora/RPMS/python-sqlite-1.1.6-1.i386.rpm
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/i386/Fedora/RPMS/yum-2.3.1-1.src.rpm

Run the following commands to correct the problem:

rpm -e yum
rpm --upgrade python-sqlite-1.1.6-1.i386.rpm
rpm --install yum-2.3.1-1.src.rpm
cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS

Edit the yum.spec file and change the require line from python-sqlite3
to python-sqlite

rpmbuild -bb yum.spec
cd ../RPMS/noarch
rpm --install yum-2.3.1-1.noarch.rpm

That should get yum going again.
The problem is that the yum package has not yet been updated to reflect
the name changes from sqlite3 to sqlite.  I would imagine this will be
resolved quickly.