FC4T1 installation and testing notes

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 04:38:45 UTC 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:20:53 -0500, John Pearson <jpearson42 at wowway.com> wrote:
> I can't find the tools I would like to check that.  Please suggest something.
/sbin/service haldaemon status
note the pid
ps auxw |grep hald
see if the pid from above is listed in the ps output.

I have a box synced against the development tree and my usb and
compact flash devices are seen by hal and and the fstab entries and
mountpoints created.

you might  watch the /var/log/messages  file as you plug the usb
devices in and see if you get messages indicating the kernel saw the
device and set up the corresonding /dev/ entry for it.

as root tail -f /var/log/messages
plug in the device
you should see a series of messages about usb and scsi.
for example kernel: usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd
and address 6
and then disconnect the device and you should see a usb disconnect message
for example: kernel: usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 6

This could either be a kernel issue, a udev issue or a hal issue. We
need to see where in the process things are failing.
The kernel needs to see the usb device
then udevd needs to create the associated /dev/ entry  like sda, sdb etc...
then hal can do its job and create the fstab entry and mountpoint.

-jef