kernel source for ppc

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Mon Mar 21 21:34:24 UTC 2005

--On Monday, March 21, 2005 3:10 PM -0600 Bret Hughes
<bhughes at elevating.com> wrote:

> OK, Thanks.  Is this setup a done deal?  If you are wanting to build
> something that relies on the kernel source tree, I assume that a
> rpm-build -p SPECS/kernel-version and
> ln -s /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-version /usr/src/linux
> would provide the needed tree?
>
> What a pita.  From reading rpm-qi kernel-devel, the kernel-devel package
> is equiv. to the old kernel-headers?

One purpose of RPM is to exactly recreate the steps used to build a
package, including unpacking the original tarball(s) and applying patches.
"rpmbuild -bp" (prepare step) does exactly this. You can set the RPM
%_builddir macro to locate the resulting tree where you want it. The
default value of this macro is typically set in /usr/lib/rpm/macros and can
be overridden in ~/.rpmmacros. (Try "rpmbuild --showrc | grep macrofiles"
to see the actual path searched.)