Upgrading from previous FC to FC4-test1 using yum

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 19:38:57 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:32:31 -0600, kmoogle <kmoogle at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is this possible and/or documented? I've seen documentation that
> suggested installing the fedora-release and yum RPMs from the version
> you're considering upgrading to, but didn't know if this was possible
> with FC4test1.

Its 'possible' but since fc4t1 introduces python2.4, and fc3
applications such as yum use python2.3 associated path locations for
modules... you have to take some care to prepare your system in order
for things to work out for the best.
At the very least, the attempt is a good way to learn more about
tricky details of python module packaging, when(not if) you end up
breaking your python install.

> I'm trying to avoid the download-the-iso--then-burn-and-upgrade hassles.

There are ways of avoiding burning an iso to disk and instead use grub
to boot into the installer image extracted from the small boot.iso
file and then do a network based upgrade using anaconda.

-jef"I could have sworn the point of being a tester and running the
test releases was to be hassled, and to take a bullet (or a few of
them) for the rest of the userbase who will be relying on things like
the installer in the full release"spaleta