We will soon be at FC4 and system-config-packages will stillfall short

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 19:03:09 UTC 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:42:48 +0100, Jean Francois Martinez
<jfm512 at free.fr> wrote:
> I would strongly  support just "stealing" teh system-config-packages like
> modified by the Aurox people (http://www.aurox.org) as an interim
> measure.

Have the aurox people attempted to communicate their changes back to
the upstream development process for the tool? I would strongly
encourage anyone who is making modifications to existing tools to at
least attempt to work with upstream developers for the codebase, so
that useful modifications can be rolled back into the mainline
project, so we can avoid unnecessary discussion about leaping across
to an alternative codebase.  Can you point me to discussion where the
aurox developers have presented their modifications to the existing
system-config-package developers? Either a bugticket with attached
patches or a mailinglist archive url would be adequate.

> Not having a quarter-decent package management tool is really
> hurting Fedora (IMHO the lack of a GUI or TUI precludes using yum
> a package management tool, it is presently more of an automatic updater)
> You are right, and I haven't.  I just attributed to yum the sins of
> up2date who at times picks mirrors 12 time zones away from me.

Then configure an alternative mirror list.  There are alternative
mirrorlists available at the same web directory where yum and up2date
retrieve mirrorlist information from
http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/

-jef