YUM questions

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Sun Mar 27 19:46:21 UTC 2005

I normally use up2date to update my system but up2date had some problems
(reported in bugzilla) with the gcc packages in FC4T1 so I thought I would
give yum a try.

Now many (most?) source rpm packages which result in multiple binary rpm
packages all have names of the form NAME-xxx-ver-rel...  However, the gcc
packages do not and have a variety of names.  To complicate things I am
running FC3T1 x86_64 which means there are both x86_64 and i386 packages to
update.

If I do "yum update cpp" I get all of the packages but only the x86_64
versions and I really need to do both.  The only way I could get both was to
specify "yum update libgcc libgnat ..." where I list all of the packages
which have both i386 and x86_64 versions -- this works BUT is there an easier
(simpler) way to update gcc?  BTW, I could not just do "yum update" since
some other packages had conflict problems.

Another question that occurs to me is how to tell yum to "reinstall" a
package ... the package has been installed but I want to "force" reinstall
it.  For example, lets say a package has both x86_64 and i386 versions and I
have updated the x86_64 version but not the i386 version.  Now I want to
update the i386 package but to reinstall the x86_64 package at the same time
so any /usr/bin or /usr/sbin files get the correct version installed.
--
Gene