Openoffice media player

tony tony at tgds.net
Mon May 2 12:19:48 UTC 2005

Le lundi 02 mai 2005 à 13:47 +0200, Klaasjan Brand a écrit :

> Totem on my up2date FC4T2 box won't play any video
> > file (mpg, avi, wmv, mov)?
>
> Totem as shipped by Fedora never included the capability to playback
> those formats. Maybe you replaced it with a version using Xine as a
> back-end?

What does totem actually play? It does not seem capable of playing any
media I have available.

> You can try the gstreamer-ffmpeg module (not packaged in an easy way
> afaik) or replace Totem with Totem-xine. (see rpm.livna.org)

I have an even better solution: xine with a xine front end... Everything
else comes from livna and dag yum repositories (ffmpeg, dvd...,
libfoo...).

I use VDR and vdr-xine (budget DVB-S card) so I have to patch xine and
compile it anyway:

	- apply vdr-xine patch by copy pasting instructions from INSTALL
	- ./autogen.sh
	- make
	- make install

10 minutes later (1Ghz VIA) I can watch live TV - DVB button, recorded
or time shifted or more live TV - VDR button, DVD etc. ad nauseum.

On the other hand we have totem which with gstreamer (last time I tried
that it sucked all life from my CPU) plays - nothing!

This is tongue in cheek but IMVHO a decent HOWTO get and install
something that just works now and today is much more useful to the end
user than something that may be taken up by KDE and become the standard
in the we don't know when futur. I does put into perspective all the
stupid hoops US patents and DCMA and whatever laws makes Redhat have to
jump through.

And by the way, the totem interface is as ugly as sin. (Just had to get
that out of my system)

Cheers

Tony