gaim & something else

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Thu May 5 21:25:15 UTC 2005

nodata wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 15:48 -0500, Patrick Barnes wrote:
>

>>Try opening Gaim's preferences and changing the sound options.  Set the
>>sound command to 'aplay %s' and see if that helps.  You may also need to
>>make sure ALSA's dmix/asym plugins are in use.  You could alternatively
>>set the sound command to playback through whatever sound server you use.
>>
>>-Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
>>nman64 at n-man.com
>>
>>--
>>

>I've tried this, and adding the other options to .asoundrc, but new
>message notifications are stilled queued until after realplayer finishes
>a track. Annoying!

Then what you are seeing is RealPlayer using OSS and OSS not using
dmix/asym.  See my other post to try to get OSS to use dmix/asym.
Pushing OSS through dmix will basically be your only option, short of
using a second soundcard for RealPlayer.  As far as I'm aware, there's
no way to get RealPlayer to use anything but OSS.  As I haven't used
RealPlayer in a long time, I welcome any corrections.

-Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com