Openoffice media player

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Fri May 6 17:52:13 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 14:19 +0200, tony wrote:
> Le lundi 02 mai 2005 à 13:47 +0200, Klaasjan Brand a écrit :

> > You can try the gstreamer-ffmpeg module (not packaged in an easy way
> > afaik) or replace Totem with Totem-xine. (see rpm.livna.org)
>
> I have an even better solution: xine with a xine front end... Everything
> else comes from livna and dag yum repositories (ffmpeg, dvd...,
> libfoo...).

"Better solution"?
Short term yes. But long term no.

Trust me, have a look at the gstreamer architecture. I'm a Xine fan, i
use it all the time, i tell other people to use it and i contributed a
little to the project, and yes, currently seems to be the overall best
player. But gstreamer is so much more than just a media player. It's
like Xine + Enix (remember Enix? the now-dead twin of xine that was
aiming to provide an encoding platform) plus a lot more. It's still in a
pretty early stage, while Xine is a mature project, therefore it's
normal that Xine is currently better for end-users.

> And by the way, the totem interface is as ugly as sin. (Just had to get
> that out of my system)

Well, both xine and gstreamer allow you to use any arbitrary interface
you like. You can even write your own. ;-)

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/