Spatial Nautilus Praise (was Re: Firefox etc. default homepage)

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Mon May 9 14:14:23 UTC 2005

Stuart Jansen wrote:

>On Sun, 2005-05-08 at 13:28 +0200, nodata wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 2005-05-07 at 12:42 -0700, Michael A. Peters wrote:
>>

>>>Once I got use to spatial nautilus, it's actually what I prefer.
>>>

>>I tried to get used to it, but found the way it opened new windows on
>>top of the old ones really annoying.
>>

>Yes, that can be annoying. Thankfully, because Nautilus remembers the
>position and size of a window when it was last opened, it gets better
>with time. I have a folder filled with many PDFs. Previously, to open a
>specific PDF I'd have to scan the list until I found the one I wanted.
>Now thanks to spatial Nautilus, I can quickly find the one's I use most
>frequently by automatically homing in on their location on the screen.
>Because so many have similar names, this is faster than even tab
>completion. (And now that I have evince showing thumbnails in Nautilus,
>it's pretty easy to find less frequently used PDfs also.)
>
>A giant thank you to the developers of nautilus and evince!

I don't know if it has been mentioned before in this thread, but if you
want the next spatial view to open in the same window that you are
clicking in, just "middle click" the entry and it will use the same
window.  I find this feature along with the spatial paradigm to be the
best file navigation facility around.  It took some time to get used to,
but I almost never open a Browse Window anymore.

Gerry