No screensavers in FC4T3?

Kyle Pointer kapointer at charter.net
Thu May 12 12:57:26 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 21:55 -0400, Jeffrey D. Yuille wrote:
> Kyle Pointer wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 22:58 -0500, Gerry Tool wrote:
> >
> > > I have a currently updated fresh FC4T3 install.  Today's updates
> > > included a new xscreensaver-base package.  I have no screensavers listed
> > > when I look at Desktop > Preferences > Screensaver.  Do others see this
> > > same thing?
> > >
> > > Thanks. Gerry
> > >

> > Yeah. Its a problem with the default configuration file.
> > What you can do, is use gedit or something of the sort, and change all
> > the  ${libexecdir} to /usr/libexec and your screen savers should be
> > back. :) Although I noticed they don't have configuration dialogs
> > anymore... Thats just a hack, but it works fine to me.
> >  -- kyle
> >

>       Hello Kyle,
>
>       I am not sure as to how you do this.  I
> see /usr/libexec/screensavers , but I don't know how to configure the
> above to get my screensavers to appear. How do I change the $
> {libexecdir} to /usr/libexec ?  Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Jeff

You an editor like gedit. Open your .xscreensaver file with it.
Then there should be an option in the Edit menu to find and replace
strings with other strings. ( Might be listed as "Replace" )
Then tell it to search for ${libexecdir} and replace it
with /usr/libexec/ .
Then you should get a list of xscreensavers. :) Its just a hack, but it
works for now.
 -- kyle