javac strangeness FC4T3

Anthony Green green at redhat.com
Fri May 13 14:51:48 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 10:27 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
> OK, so I would expect javac to gc gcj, but watch:
>
> javac
> Eclipse Java Compiler 0.548, pre-3.1.0 milestone-6, Copyright IBM Corp 2000,
> 2005. All rights reserved.

This is expected behaviour.  The Eclipse compiler has certain advantages
over gcj's current bytecode compilation support.  For instance, it does
recursive compilation of referenced java sources, which many people rely
on.

The gcj bytecode compiler is currently being rewritten to support
missing features, including new Java 1.5 language features (just web
search for gcjx) - but it will be some time before it's ready for
mainstream usage.  The Eclipse compiler has proven to be fast and high
quality, and we have to ship in anyways as part of the Eclipse IDE.

You can still use "gcj -C" if you really want to use gcj for .java
to .class compilation.

AG