syslog stopped logging on x86_64?

Jeff Sheltren sheltren at cs.ucsb.edu
Fri May 13 17:04:40 UTC 2005

Ever since updating on the morning of May 10th to the latest
development packages, my x86_64 machine has not been logging anything
to syslog.  syslogd and klogd are both running, there is plenty of
free space in /var, and I have not touched syslog.conf for a month.
I first noticed this problem under kernel 1287 smp, but it persists
under 1290 smp.

Is anyone else experiencing this?  On two other FC4 boxes (both
i386), syslog is running fine.

Another possibly related problem is that an 'ls -l' in /var/log was
showing lastlog as being 1.2 TB.  df reported only ~700MB used in /
var (which seems more correct, especially since /var is only 4GB
large, making it impossible to have a 1.2TB file on it).  I removed
the lastlog file and touched a new one.  It is now showing up as 5.5
MB...

# uname -a
Linux hell 2.6.11-1.1290_FC4smp #1 SMP Mon May 9 19:28:09 EDT 2005
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Any ideas?

-Jeff