syslog stopped logging on x86_64?

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Fri May 13 19:41:49 UTC 2005

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 11:09:22AM -0700, Jeff Sheltren wrote:

> On May 13, 2005, at 10:28 AM, Jason Vas Dias wrote:
> >
> > I'm getting incorrect
> > sizes for this file on i386 too:

No, you are not.

> Before I enter a bug report, I have noticed an
> error message on the console when starting syslogd, which is also
> shown when starting syslogd with -d:
>
> # syslogd -d
> Allocated parts table for 1024 file descriptors.
> Starting.
> Called logerr, msg: network logging disabled (syslog/udp service
> unknown).

And here is a problem although what is an underlying reason is not
clear from the above.  Do you have something like 'syslog 514/udp'
entry in /etc/services?   Or this could be something else.

As for 'ls' this is  not a bug but a documented property. If you
want to see a size of a file in terms of disk blocks then you are
not using '-l' flag which means something different.  For "dense"
files these two numbers are related but for "sparse" this is really
not the case.

   Michal