gdm packaging question

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri May 13 20:56:53 UTC 2005

On 5/13/05, Gene C. <czar at czarc.net> wrote:
> I have gdm installed and configured (using gdm's gdmsetup) gdm to use the
> standard greeter rather than the graphical greeter for local logins.
>
> After updating the gdm package, I was back to the graphical greeter.
>
> Bug or feature?

a little of both.   its a 'feature' that packages can be built to
either keep modified configs in place or to back up the modified
configs and give you the new default config file.
generation of .rpmnew files  versus .rpmsave files.

.rpmnew files are the default behavior for config files.. so anytime
you see a package creating a .rpmsave file like gdm does.. its at the
explicit direction of the packager of the package and is mostly likely
done as a work-around to make sure you have a working configfile for
components that are known to have unstable config file formats.
Clearly anytime a .rpmsave file is being generated there was/is a
problem that the packager is trying to help you avoid running into.

Generally speaking, the biggest problem I have with the
.rpmnew/.rpmsave file generation feature.. is the seeming lack of
notification I get when either of these files are created. I'd like
Core to have a 'default' way for me to find all the rpmnew and rpmsave
files without me having to resort to running a full filesystem search
through the system directories. Now that slocate is off by default, I
can't rely on that system facility to be available.

-jef