Install problem with FC4

Jared Buck JBuck814366460 at aol.com
Sun May 15 09:23:34 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-15 at 10:17 +0200, Luc MAIGNAN wrote:
> HI,
>
> I cannot install the FC4 on a laptop ACER FERRARI 3200 with amd64
> version (the problem is exactly the same with a RHEL 4). The
> installation process begins, detects all hardware and then launches
> /sbin/loader. At this point, black screen and all is freezed. I tried to
> start the installation in text mode, with no probe option, ... : no effect.
>
> Has anyone an idea which gives me a chance to install it on my computer ?
>
> Best regards

Have you checked which version of the .isos you're using?  If you have a
64-bit processor, which is what you're using, you need to install the
64-bit version of FC4 test 3.

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/test/3.92/x86_64/iso/

Get them from that link or try one of the mirrors if RH's server is
busy.  FC4's i386 .isos will only work with non-32-bit processors.

If your processor is a 32-bit version (such as the Pentium classes like
the P4), you need to use the i386 .isos:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/test/3.92/i386/iso/

Again, try a mirror if RH's server is busy.

You didn't specify which type of processor you're using.  Linux is very
picky about the processor - if you're using the wrong version of
the .isos, it'll freeze like you describe.

Hope this helps.

Jared