FC4T3 P4 ATI 9600 Dell 2405

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX caf at omen.com
Tue May 17 18:06:14 UTC 2005

Not too long ago I added a 250 G SATA drive to my office computer,
a P4 on an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe.  By changing the drive order in
the BIOS I can boot either the new regime or the tired old copy
of XP.

Mandrake installed and ran without problems, correctly identifying
which drive to put the boot loader on and correctly setting
the 1920x1200 resolution for the display.

FC4T3 did not do as well.  The first attempt wiped out a
partition or two, and the boot loader was installed somewhere
where it didn't do anything.

Second time I restored the lost partitions and used the
advanced boot loader option to put the loader on the MBR
of the SATA drive.  There were copious complaints about
an invalid partition table but I was able to dismiss them
and proceed.

The obvious problem now is the display.  I selected 1920x1200
but the screen display is squeezed horizontally.

At lease Fedora Core did not scramble the drive parameters.
Perhaps SATA drives are immune to this.
--
Chuck Forsberg    caf at omen.com   www.omen.com   503-614-0430
10255 NW Old Cornelius Pass Portland OR 97231   FAX 629-0665