Samba Home Share name is username, windows any share is username

Darwin H. Webb thethirddoorontheleft at verizon.net
Wed May 18 20:30:36 UTC 2005

Message: 4
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 07:26:18 +0200
From: Roger Grosswiler <roger at gwch.net>
Subject: Re: Samba Home Share name is username, windows any share is
        username
To: thethirddoorontheleft at verizon.net,  For testers of Fedora Core
        development releases    <fedora-test-list at redhat.com>

Darwin H. Webb schrieb:
> The default share name for the home/username is username.
> The new SELinux check box (allow home dir to be shared) seems to
> automatically create the share? as I removed it after checking the
> SELinux check box. And this is why.
>
> A Windows share created on the linux desktop defaults to a name of
> username or username(2) and can not be renamed.
> This is a workgroup so at first time access (either side of the net)
it
> is auth with a username and password.
>
> But now when the Windows share is opened for the first use, the wondow
> comes up white with hour glass mouse pointer. It stays that way unitl
> the close x is clicked and conformation to force close the window.
> Then out of the blue, the /home/username folder pops up as if one had
> clicked on Home. Close that and try another route.
> Click on properties of windows share and it asks for wondws password,
> accepts it and shows properties. Close that and clcik on windows share
> again, ask for windows password, accepts, and open the shre with files
> in the windows correctly.
>
> The double use of user name needs to be checked on?
>
> And if the windows shares can be renamed different than user name,
> username(2), etc. The username all over the desktop is not very secure
> either. :)
>
> Thank you,

i did not use the homeshares in that way. Try in your [homes]-section

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    path = /home/%U
    guest ok = no
    browseable = yes
    writable = yes
    create mask = 775

This makes your homedir directly point to your users homedir. try it
without the selinux for homedir-support for samba.

I created a separate homedir for my samba-shares in /users. If you
wanna
try this, just replace /home by whatever you want - don't forget to
change it in your smb.conf either.

HTH
Roger

  888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

Roger,

  I'm talking about a windows share. The smb icon on the FC4 desktop
created by connect to computer.

The FC4 username home dir is also shared out to windows, works fine.

I don't believe you used that method on FC4T3 within the last week. :)

SELinux turned OFF!!!!!!!!!!!! What year are you in? Never say that
again.

Darwin - I repoted this as a bug, which it is.

P. S. This is my first reply and is built from the digest so if it is
out of place, that's why. I now have real time mail.