INF information for Dell 1920x1200 15.4" widescreen display needed.

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Wed May 18 23:42:43 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 18:03 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
> > These files have a "Copyright by Microsoft" notice in each of them so I am not
> > sure about the legality of sharing them.  However, I would be surprised if
> > the folks at Red Hat don't have XP installed somewhere in their organization
> > so they should be able to find the same files I did.
>
> Run fast, don't look back and avoid the hardware. Replace with something
> better and more free.

I'm a little confused by this comment.  So what, Microsoft has a
copyright on some text based files in Windows.  Big woop.

I'm a GPL developer and last time I looked I had a copyright on the
software I create.  In fact, I read a book the other day that was
copyrighted.  (Maybe I should stop reading it).

In a nut shell (and IANAL) all copyright means is that you can't copy
the material lock-stock-and-barrel (or portions of) without the
permission of the author.  In my case, I grant that permission under the
GPL.

While Microsoft may not have granted permission to copy the file (so it
may mean that the Redhat engineers, or someone, might need to find a
local copy of the file and read it there) there's nothing stopping you
reading copyrighted materials and apply knowledge you learn from it -
you just can't copy it.  This, as I understand it, is all the Redhat
engineers want to do.  It's just like when you read a copyrighted
technical manual to learn how the product works and then apply the
knowledge.

Do you seriously think that because something is copyrighted it (or
products it's related to) show be trashed and alternatives found?

Rodd

> --
> <change_m2> Will LINUX ever overtake sliced bread as the #1 achievement
>              of mankind?

 It's much better on my side"