INF information for Dell 1920x1200 15.4" widescreen display needed.

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu May 19 00:42:42 UTC 2005

Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 18:03 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>>>These files have a "Copyright by Microsoft" notice in each of them so I am not
>>>sure about the legality of sharing them.  However, I would be surprised if
>>>the folks at Red Hat don't have XP installed somewhere in their organization
>>>so they should be able to find the same files I did.
>>
>>Run fast, don't look back and avoid the hardware. Replace with something
>>better and more free.
>

> I'm a little confused by this comment.  So what, Microsoft has a
> copyright on some text based files in Windows.  Big woop.
>
> I'm a GPL developer and last time I looked I had a copyright on the
> software I create.  In fact, I read a book the other day that was
> copyrighted.  (Maybe I should stop reading it).
>
> In a nut shell (and IANAL) all copyright means is that you can't copy
> the material lock-stock-and-barrel (or portions of) without the
> permission of the author.  In my case, I grant that permission under the
> GPL.
>
> While Microsoft may not have granted permission to copy the file (so it
> may mean that the Redhat engineers, or someone, might need to find a
> local copy of the file and read it there) there's nothing stopping you
> reading copyrighted materials and apply knowledge you learn from it -
> you just can't copy it.  This, as I understand it, is all the Redhat
> engineers want to do.  It's just like when you read a copyrighted
> technical manual to learn how the product works and then apply the
> knowledge.
>
> Do you seriously think that because something is copyrighted it (or
> products it's related to) show be trashed and alternatives found?
>

> Rodd

Copyright has taken on the traits of limiting creativity, usability,
improvements and the like.

The inf files are probably as you refer to and would be like reading a
book or learning from observing one's approach to some problem and
improving on the product, idea or service.

I don't see anything wrong with submitting the inf file and having the
settings added to the list.

I don't look for things with limitations imposed on them. It would be
wise to not follow the trends to restrictions and aim for getting stuf
copylefted instead.

After toying with a Nvidia video card that came with something my wife
bought, I gave away the video card to someone else that runs something
that open-source drivers and improving drivers is not a concern for. If
Nvidia contributed to, or at least made available to others how to make
their software to work, I would change my opinion of their products.
Until then, run, don't look back and forget about their offerings.

In the case of monitors, refresh rates, scan frequencies, etc are
knowledge given to prevent someone from frying their monitors. I think
the information prevents fires, blue smoke and excessive landfill. If it
is available, then the information should be used.

Remember, only M$ can prevent forest fires. (or was it "Only You Can
Prevent Forest Fires")

JIm

--
<change_m2> Will LINUX ever overtake sliced bread as the #1 achievement
             of mankind?